Monday, June 15, 2009

Burial & Four Tet

I love Burial. Well not the guy, cause that'd be weird. I love his music. Love love love his stuff. His dark shifting and somehow urban-sounding soundscapes fascinated me all the more when he was still an anonymous artist.. a music which ostensibly reflected the feelings and attitudes of a specific place, in this case London, was strengthened by anonymity, I found. The sounds struck home as if they'd been somehow randomly generated by the city itself, as if the rain-slicked walls of the fish and chip shop had taken in the late night shit-talking, drunken confrontations and walks home alone at night from so many denizens that it had ejected something beautiful into the world. 

My feelings about Four Tet aren't nearly as defined, mostly because I simply haven't listened to much of it, but what little of it I've heard has seemed dark, organic, shifting... overall pretty much great for some of the same reasons I like Burial. 

Really, the two are made for each other, and they obviously knew this, as they have collaborated to great effect for two tracks, entitled Moth and Wolf Cub (having a hard time finding the files to purchase online, but you can buy the vinyl here). I can't say much about it, as the sound is entirely it's own, so just listen and enjoy. You won't regret it


No comments:

Post a Comment