Saturday, June 6, 2009

Cowboy funk

If someone was to tell me a Calgarian musician was making funk music, this is likely what I would picture. Funk-country. And this is coming from a local, not some Vancouver native taking cheap shots at the rednecks to the East.

However, local university radio station CJSW was able to turn me on to some great homestyle Calgary funky house, courtesy of Neighbour. I don't know a whole lot about this guy other than that he makes sick jams, and that he collaborates with local club DJ Wax Romeo as Neighbourhood Romeo

The first track is the standout title track of the three track EP on Juno (buy here), a funk-house beauty with some fat bass, killer beats and not-shabby-at-all rhymes. Not to mention stabby keys. Love me some good stabby keys.


While I don't enjoy Kolour Jam quite as much as the first track, the production is undoubtedly slick and the style remains intact. 


Now I'm not really sure what the All Good Funk Alliance is, and maybe that makes me a bad Calgary music fan, but regardless there it is in my iTunes, and Neighbour and Wax Romeo both make an appearance on this mostly instrumental groovy funk jam. Not much else to say really...

No comments:

Post a Comment